We use cookies to help us improve the website and your experience using it. You may delete and block all cookies from this site at any time. However, please note this may result in parts of the site no longer working correctly. If you continue without changing your settings we will assume you are happy to receive all cookies on this site.


Patient Advice and Liaison Service

pals1Want to say something?

We want to listen

Our aim is to deliver the highest quality of service and standards of individual care. Through listening to your views we can continue to develop and improve our services to our patients.

Our staff are here to help you and it is important for them to know if you have any suggestions or comments about the

services you have received so they can take immediate action.

We welcome any suggestions or comments that will improve our services. Please speak to either the Ward or Department Manager, contact the Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) or the PALS department. You may also post
your suggestions in the suggestion boxes around the hospital, write to the Chief Executive or use the feedback form on our website. 

Want to share a positive experience?

It's important for us to learn from your positive experiences as these will form an essential part of our ongoing evaluation of the patient experience at the Trust. It also gives you the opportunity to let the staff know that their care and professionalism have not gone unnoticed. You can share your experience by posting a comment within the 'feedback' section of the NHS Choices website; e-mail or telephone PALS, or write to the Chief Executive.

The NHS Choices website address is:


Step 1 - Got a concern or a complaint?

We want to resolve it

It is very important that you let the staff involved know of your concerns and dissatisfaction as soon as possible. This will allow them to quickly put things right for  you.

If you feel that you are not able to speak directly to a member of staff you can ask to speak to the person in charge, in any department or ward you are visiting. Usually they can help resolve things for you. If not, they can advise and arrange further assistance.

We assure you that if you make a complaint, this will not compromise your care, or that of a member of your family.

Don't want to speak to a member of staff?

We can still help

If you feel that you are not able to speak directly to a member of staff on the ward or department about your concern, you can ask staff to contact the PALS department who will arrange to assist you as quickly as possible.

Want to make a complaint?

Help is available in our Trust

If your concern cannot be resolved at the time, you may wish to make a complaint, either by writing, by e-mail or by telephone. Normally this should be within 12 months of the events themselves or within 12 months of learning of the  problem.

If you have difficulty in writing in yourself, please telephone the PALS department who will take a note of your concerns and register your complaint for an investigation under the NHS Complaints Procedure.

However you wish to contact us, we will send you a letter of acknowledgement detailing your concerns within three working days, giving you the opportunity to check that

your concerns have been correctly recorded and amendments made.

Don't want to speak directly to the PALS department? Independent help is  available

ICAS (Independent Complaints Advocacy Service) 0808 802 3000.

ICAS is totally independent from this organisation. They cannot investigate your complaint, but they can help you make your complaint in writing, liaise with us on your behalf and attend meetings with you.

Want to complain on behalf of an adult?

If you wish to make a complaint on behalf of an adult, under normal circumstances we will require a signed and dated statement from that person giving us permission to investigate and to release information to you which may  be

confidential to them. The PALS department has a consent form for this purpose.

Want to complain on behalf of a child?

If you wish to make a complaint on behalf of a child and you are not the parent(s) or legal guardian of the child we will require a signed and dated statement from the parent(s) or legal guardian. The PALS department has a consent form for this purpose.

What will happen next?

Once we have acknowledged your complaint, the Director(s) of the relevant department(s) will investigate this on behalf of the Chief Executive.

The Chief Executive will send you a written response or offer a meeting with the relevant staff within the time period agreed between you and PALS, wherever possible. This will explain the outcome of the investigation, any action(s) already taken and plans for further actions.

If it is not possible to do this within the time period, the PALS department will contact you and explain why this is so and update you regularly.

Every effort will be made to resolve your complaint.

If you remain dissatisfied, the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman leaflet 'Bringing a complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman' may help you. This explains what to do next and copies can be obtained by contacting the PALS department or the Health Service Ombudsman direct.

Step 2 - The Health Service Ombudsman: for review of your concerns

If you remain dissatisfied with our response to your concerns you may contact the Health Service Ombudsman's office to review your complaint.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman for England

13th Floor, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London. SW1P 4QP. Helpline: 0345 015 4033


Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) Adult Services

Telephone: 0161 276 8686

Fax: 0161 276 4971

E-mail: pals@cmft.nhs.uk

Children's PALS

Telephone: 0161 276 8686

Fax: 0161 701 8721

E-mail: childrens.pals@cmft.nhs.uk

Website  www.cmft.nhs.uk

Or write to:

The Chief Executive, Trust Headquarters, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WL.