The Great War and World War ll

The Great War closely followed, the Hospital coming under the strain firstly, of losing staff to war service, and secondly losing 50 beds to the care of the war wounded, whilst dealing in 1917 with 39,000 outpatients and over 2,000 inpatients. Immediately after the war the practicalities of running St. John Street became insuperable and in 1920 it was closed after being used for over 50 years.Main Out-patients Building

Instead, three houses opposite the Oxford Road hospital were purchased for use as additional outpatient space and staff quarters. In due course however, the inevitability of inadequate space supervened and the decision was made to commission an entirely new outpatient building on Nelson Street, to include a residence for nursing staff. This was occupied in 1937, and of course finished to the most modern style, being tiled floor-to-ceiling.Inside the new Out-patients Building

The pictures show the new frontage in 1937, together with what would nowadays be styled a "triage" area. The Second War followed, with similar effects to the Great War on staff losses and the secondment of beds to military casualties. On the night of 23rd December 1940 the hospital was bombed, killing two staff members and causing substantial damage. Temporary closure was necessary but part reopening was possible by the following April, with 160 beds.