The list below shows those analytes that are provided on an
urgent and emergency basis. Samples requiring these tests and
labelled as 'Urgent' will usually be analysed and reported in 60 to
120 minutes from receipt in the laboratory. If results are required
very rapidly for the immediate treatment of a patient, or if you
wish to send a sample for arterial blood gases and pH, please
contact the laboratory to let us know that the sample is
Adults: Tel 0161 27 64375 or bleep 2722
Paediatrics: Tel 0161 701 2233 or bleep
Requesting urgent analyses
The following analytes are available at any time:
- Liver Profile (Total profile, albumin, ALP, ALT, total
- Methaemoglobin (in heparinised bottle if not sent with blood
- Blood gases
- Renal Profile (Sodium, potassium, urea, creatine, AKI, e-GFR.
Chloride and bicarbonate included for paediatrics, e-GFR only if
- Creatine Kinase
- Troponin T
- Quantitative BHCG (blood pregnancy only)
- Bone profile (Albumin, calcium, adjusted calcium, ALP,
- Lipid profile (Cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL, calculated LDL.
Must be fasting sample for full profile)
- Thyroid profile (TSH and free T4, other tests are added if
necessary by laboratory clinical scientists)
- Iron profile (Iron, Transferrin and iron saturation)
- CSF (Total Protein, Glucose and Lactate)
1. You must arrange transport of the sample using
the portering service, pneumatic tube system or ward staff.
2. Results of these tests are available in between one
hour and two hours of receipt of the sample in the
3. The pneumatic tube must not be used for transport
of blood gas samples.
4. DO NOT send blood gas samples to the laboratory
with the needle attached.