The Synovial fluid cytology service is mandated by the guidelines of the Royal College of
Pathologists (RCPath) on turnaround times, that is, 80% of
cases to be reported within seven calendar days and 90% of all
cases to be reported within ten calendar days.
However, sometimes a sample may be deemed urgent by the
requesting clinician in these instances;
- Urgent specimens will be processed on the same day if received
by 13:30 hrs. Please provide a contact number or bleep and
- Urgent specimens received by 16:00 hrs will be processed the
same day if the clinician telephones the laboratory
- We will aim to give a same day report, this may only be a
provisional report pending further ancillary tests.
- It is recommended that the requesting clinician discuss such
specimens with the cytopathologist between 08:00 and 16:00 hrs on
0161 276 5115/5116. in all cases, the clinician should telephone
the laboratory in advance and provide a contact name and phone or
Routine specimens will be processed on the same day provided
that the sample is received by 11:00 hrs. This may vary depending
on clinical information or if ancillary tests are required e.g
- Synovial fluid cytology reports are printed and sent out daily,
addressed to the consultant or GP who requested the test.
- Reports of any Sepsis are telephoned.
- To discuss the cytology report with the Consultant
Cytopathologist, contact the department between 08:00 hrs and 17:00
hrs on 0161 276 5115/5116
(Last updated June 2nd 2016)