Submission of specimens
In order to give you the maximum possible histopathological
information, we need you to give us full and accurate details on
the appropriate request card.
The request card must always be filled in as accurately and as
fully as possible.
Request cards with no or scanty details are logged in the
laboratory error logging system and will be returned to the sender
if incorrectly or incompletely filled in.
In accordance with the DLM Specimen Acceptance
Policy, three matching patient identifiers are required on the
request card and the specimen pot before we can accept a
The following information must be recorded:
- Patient surname, forename, hospital number, date of birth, NHS
Number and sex
- Patient location, surgeon, and clinician/oncologist (if
- Date of request
- Nature and source of specimens
- Details of any previous specimens inc Laboratory Number if
- Consent details for the specimen(s)
- Clinical details, please give as much information as
- Signature of clinician (Please ensure your name is also
printed) and date of signing.
- Contact number/bleep of clinician to whom urgent verbal reports
should be telephoned
- High risk status if known
(Last updated February 25th 2015)