In addition to its clinical diagnostic microbiology role, the
PHE lead laboratory in Manchester provides a range of public health
- A full range of tests to investigate any event or outbreak of
possible public health significance in the community
- Advice on the best diagnostic strategies to be adopted
- Advice on interpretation of test results and additional
investigations that may be helpful
- Support to incident/outbreak investigation teams
- Prompt communication of results in agreement within published
- Follow up/clearance testing of patients or contacts of patients
in whom organisms of public health importance are detected.
- Support for trusts/HPUs in the specialist investigation of
health care associated infection
The laboratory is able to deal with samples from outbreaks
arising in primary or secondary care and there is a single
notification system in place to inform the laboratory of all types
of outbreaks e.g. respiratory, enteric.
More detailed information can be found in the
Public Health Microbiology User Services Handbook (including the
outbreak request referral form).