Good oral healthcare reduces risk of lung complications after
major surgeryand improves your overall general health.
We want you to concentrate on optimal dentalcare leading up to
your surgery by focussing on:
- Brushing yourteeth twice perday for 2 minutes.Make sure
youbrush the sides of yourteeth and along the gumline, especially
on the insidesurfaces next to yourtongue and the roof ofyour
- Brush the top of yourtongue, as far back as youcan comfortably
- Cleaning in between theteeth with either dentalfloss or bottle
- Use mouthwash once a dayto help control the dental plaque. Also
gargle with the mouthwash, to clean the back of your tongue and
- Consider getting a scale and polish from your dentist
This process of good dental healthcare will continue in hospital
after your surgery.