The volunteer service has a caring approach.
Using the goodwill and dedication of all our volunteers we aim to
enhance patient services and help all hospital users. Our aim is to
reflect the population that the Trust serves and we try to recruit
from all sections of the local community.
Why volunteer at the hospital?
Volunteering is a way of becoming involved in
your local community and the hospital. Volunteers are located
across the Trust, participating in a variety of ways all
contributing to improving the patient experience. They are an
integral part of the hospital team and are highly valued by staff,
patients and visitors.
Who can volunteer?
Basically anyone as long as they are over 16
years old (18 years old to volunteer within Children's
What do volunteers do?
- Hospital Welcomers -Offering a helping
hand to hospital users, meeting, greeting and offering directions
to patients and visitors
- Pharmacy - Become involved in a vital and
interesting area of the hospital
- Ward Volunteer - Offering a helping hand
or a friendly face can enhance a patient's stay in hospital
- Ward-Befriending - volunteers offer a very
special service for many patients, who would not usually have a
visitor of their own. Cheering them up, chatting and offering a
much needed diversion to the treatment they are receiving in
- Clinics - Supporting patients, their
relatives or companions in many different ways in the clinics of
There's a whole host of other areas in which
you can volunteer.
Please contact us during the following times for an application
March 2013 - Request Application Packs
April 2013 - Volunteer Interviews
August 2013 - Request Application Packs
September 2013 - Volunteer Interviews
- Make new friends and have fun
- Exploring career prospects - gaining
valuable experience of working in a hospital
- Develop new and useful skills
- Becoming an active citizen within your
- Support future job applications, UCAS
forms, Duke of Edinburgh Awards, and records of achievements
- The reward of doing something
Saying thank you
Our volunteers are thanked in many ways:
- Awards and Certificates
- Coffee Mornings
- Support from Volunteer Service
Volunteers can also claim out of pocket travel
Telephone: 0161 276