The main benefits of the development are:
- All children's services are now on one site so there is no need for patients and staff to travel. Children are cared for under one roof. Adolescents can now transfer seamlessly from children's to adult services.
- Departments whose work is closely linked - e.g. A & E and radiology/theatres and surgical wards/burns unit and intensive care - are located near each other so that patients and staff do not have far to travel around the hospitals.
- New buildings now facilitate new ways of working. For example a midwifery led delivery unit for our maternity patients. For all four hospitals out-patient attendances are on a one-stop basis wherever possible. The expansion of pneumatic tube coverage across the whole site for pathology samples means that we have reduced the turnaround time for samples that need diagnostic tests.
- This new 'Centre of Excellence' helps the Trust to attract top doctors, scientists and nurses.
- There are dedicated facilities for planned treatment for children and adults - so cancelled operations because of an emergency admission should no longer occur.
- The new build ensures privacy and dignity for patients - single rooms with en-suite facilities and dedicated treatment facilities.