Adult Hearing Services
What are Adult Hearing Services?
The Adult Hearing Service is available for adults in and around
Manchester who are concerned about their hearing or
who have a known hearing problem. It offers a comprehensive and
specialist clinical service to diagnose adults with hearing loss
and to provide support and options to help improve hearing.
A hearing problem is not always obvious, as many hearing losses
come on gradually over an extended period of time. There are
different degrees and types of hearing impairment. A hearing loss
may not be obvious in all situations, but it can limit a person's
social and work activities and can place a strain upon
Many adults with a hearing loss may first notice that they
struggle to hear;
- In environments where there is lots of background noise
- On the phone
- If someone calls them from another room
Who is the service for?
The Adult Hearing Service is a service for adults who:
- Need a hearing test because they, or their family, have
concerns about their hearing
- Have a known hearing loss and need further help and
The service receives referrals from general practitioners (GPs)
or Ear, Nose and Throat doctors.
Who's on the team?
The service is made up of a team of
- Clinical Scientists
- Hearing Therapists
- Assistant Audiologists
The service also has strong links with the local
- ENT department
- Social services department
- Genetics department
What services are provided?
Services offered include:
- Specialist hearing assessment
- Fitting of hearing aids
- Evaluation of progress with hearing aids
- Hearing therapy
- Assessment for cochlear implantation and other specialist
hearing aids as appropriate
- To provide you with an excellent service to meet your
- To give you individual attention
- To offer you access to any service within the department
- To offer you a suitable appointment date
- To make every effort to see you for an appointment on time
- To be available to you should you need advice or
- To provide support when you are coming to terms with a hearing
- To offer you help if a hearing loss causes problems or
- To ensure you feel confident and happy using a hearing aid
The Adult Hearing Service follows national guidelines and
recognised best practice while also meeting the individual needs of
adults and their families.
We involve adults in the decisions around the management of
their hearing loss and in the development and improvement of our
What patients say about our service
"Nowhere has been as helpful, knowledgeable and supportive
as the Audiology department at Manchester Royal Infirmary. I can
honestly say that their support has been fantastic and has improved
my quality of life. I would recommend their services to
"If only all services were delivered as well as
"I am very happy and my hearing aids are fantastic. I am
"Definitely improved my quality of life."
"Blown away by the quality of the care here compared to other
Audiology departments in the area I've been to."
"I have never felt so comfortable with staff and the
treatment I was given. I feel with my new hearing aids I have a new
life and that's due to the staff listening to me as