Dietetics is the science of nutrition in health and disease.
Dietitians translate the science into practical information about
food and nutritional products.
The team at MRI:
- Visit patients receiving hospital care to check on their health
and ensure their diet meets their needs. We also treat disease by
diet i.e. people who have diabetes or coeliac disease.
- Work to promote good health by teaching the public and other
health professionals about diet and nutrition.
- Act as advisors to the Trust on the nutritional standards and
specifications for the patient food service.
We also provide:
- Nutritional support for patients who are unable to feed
themselves i.e. patients who have had a stroke, or those who are
very weak following an operation. Eating properly improves recovery
rates, reduces the chance of further difficulties and reduces
- Therapeutic diets. Whilst patients receive medical or
surgical care, some also have conditions that can benefit from
- Advice to the Trust on nutritional issues. Members of the
department work with Trust staff on the following groups and
committees; Nutrition Steering Committee, Essence of Care Project
Team and Food Steering Group.
Manchester Royal Infirmary
Click here for
directions to the Hospital
General Enquiries: 0161 276 4100
Adult Dietitians: 0161 276 4668
Renal Dietitians: 0161 276 4478
Fax: 0161 276 8951
Click here for directions to the Hospital