Education & Training
- We have two pharmacist clinical tutors for the Pharmacy
Undergraduate programme who are shared between the University of
Manchester and the Trust.
- We have one shared pharmacist post with the Centre for Pharmacy
Postgraduate Education (CPPE) to promote liaison between pharmacy
education and practice.
- We have one pharmacist clinical tutor for the Medical
Undergraduate programme who is shared between the University of
Manchester and the Trust.
- We have in-house education and training leads for both
pharmacists and technical & support staff, who co-ordinate all
- We have six pre-registration tutors each year who support our
pre-registration pharmacy students.
- We have a specialist education and training pharmacy technician
who manages the induction for new starters in pharmacy, in-house
delivery of the L2 pharmacy apprenticeship and leads on the
in-house training for Pre-Registration Pharmacy Technicians.
- We have an education and training pharmacy technician who
co-ordinates work experience placements, the Cadet programme in
pharmacy and is the assessor for the L2 pharmacy
- We have two internal verifiers, along with a team of assessors,
who support the trainee Pre-Registration Pharmacy Technicians and
whom are responsible for the delivery and assessment of NVQ Level 2
and Level 3 programmes.
The department has long-standing links with the school of
Pharmacy at the University of Manchester; strong links to Health
Education England and representatives on the North west Pharmacist
and pharmacy technician Trainers Steering Group. A number of our
staff lecture at the University of Manchester on a regular basis on
both the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
Training and Development
The pharmacy department actively encourages pharmacists and
technicians to undertake further education.
Training available includes:
In house Training
The Education and Training Team facilitate a number of 'in
house' education programmes for all members of pharmacy staff.
- Local induction programme for all staff
- Yearly Moving and handling training for all staff
- We facilitate regular learning@lunch sessions in
order to provide CPD opportunities for pharmacists and
- Clinical modules for our rotational pharmacists
- Pre-registration pharmacist tutorials
- Dispensing self checking training and assessment
- Leadership course
- Train the Trainer for educators
We support the following external training courses for pharmacy
- The Level 3 Award in Assessing Competence in the Work
- The BTEC Professional Diploma in Dispensing Checking/ North
West Framework for Checking Dispensed Items.
- The BTEC Professional Diploma in Final Accuracy Checking within
Technical Services for aseptic final checking.
- The clinical diploma for pharmacists and pharmacy
- MSc in clinical pharmacy.
- Teaching qualifications such as the PGCert and a Masters of
- Independent prescribing qualification for pharmacists.
- Advanced Clinical Examination Course for pharmacists.
We actively support all pharmacists and pharmacy technicians to
routinely participate in training and education schemes for nurses,
junior doctors and other staff groups.
We also support the pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in
attending national conferences and symposia, including those
provided by the Guild of Healthcare Pharmacists, the United Kingdom
Clinical Pharmacy Association and Association of Pharmacy
We strongly encourage pharmacists and pharmacy technicians to
network with others working in similar specialities and to
participate in undergraduate and postgraduate education.