Joint Obstetric Neurology Clinic
The joint Obstetric/Neurology clinic is a specialist antenatal
and pre-pregnancy clinic for women with active neurological
diseases, such as epilepsy or neuromuscular conditions. Some
conditions will impinge upon the pregnancy whilst others will
themselves be affected by the pregnancy. The clinic aims to look at
an individual's condition and map out a pregnancy plan to optimise
the condition and the pregnancy outcome, liaising closely with
patients' pre-pregnancy Neurology team where possible.
Bullen, Consultant Obstetrician
Dr Suganthi Chinnasami, Consultant Neurologist
Sarah Lee, Research Midwife
The clinic is held in the Antenatal Department at Saint Mary's
Hospital on Thursday mornings. There is a Neurologist present
at the clinic on the second and fourth Thursday of the month.
Conditions dealt with:
- Epilepsy - current
- Neuromuscular conditions - myotonic dystrophy etc
- Myaethenia gravis
- Previous cerebrovascular disease eg stroke, intracranial
- Neurosurgical conditions - vascular malformation/aneurysm, V-P
- Other congenital /acquired causes of immobility (cerebral
palsy, spinal injury)
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Multiple sclerosis - if currently problematic
How can I access this service?
Women may be referred by a GP, CMFT Midwife (after booking risk
assessment) or an Obstetrician.
PA/Secretary: 0161 276 6427