Joint Obstetric/HIV Clinic
This clinic and team cares for HIV positive women from the whole
of Greater Manchester, combining the expertise of the medical,
specialist midwifery and nursing teams from Saint Mary's Fetal and
Maternal Medicine Department, Neonatology and the HIV Consultants
and Specialist Nurses at the Hathersage Centre. We ensure
comprehensive and cohesive care for our HIV positive mothers to
minimise the risk of HIV transmission to their babies, even through
the most challenging of pregnancies.
Our staff include:
- Dr K Chan, Consultant in Fetal and Maternal Medicine.
- Dr Kim MacLeod, Consultant Obstetrician.
- Dr Margaret Kingston, Consultant in Genitourinary
- Dr Orla McQuillan, Consultant in Genitourinary Medicine.
- Dr Gareth Penman, Consultant Neonatologist.
- Mrs Alexandra Thomas-Leech, Specialist Midwife HIV/Sexual
- The HIV Specialist Nursing Team at MCSH.
- Bronagh O'Brien, Lead Pharmacist for HIV and Sexual
The HIV Antenatal clinic is run by Dr Chan and is held in the
Antenatal Department, Ground Floor, Saint Mary's Hospital on the
first and third Thursday of every month.
Medical HIV pregnancy clinic is run by Drs Kingston and
McQuillan at the Manchester Centre for Sexual Health, Hathersage
Centre every Thursday morning.
Conditions dealth with:
- HIV positive pegnant women.
- Women exposed to HIV during pregnancy.
What is offered to patients?
The antenatal HIV clinic offers optimal management of the
pregnancy, ensuring wellbeing of the baby and deciding on best way
to deliver the baby.
The Medical HIV pregnancy clinic offers HIV treatment and
follow-up and management of related conditions.
How do I access the service?
You can be referred by your GP or you can self refer to either
the Manchester Centre for Sexual Health on (0161) 276 5221 or
direct to the Specialist Midwife at Saint Mary's Antenatal
Department on (0161) 276 6081.